Thursday, April 28, 2011

Houston, we have a diagnosis and a new RE too!!!

Not only did I love the new RE, but I walked out with a diagnosis. 

Dr. Drews was so thorough, clearly communicated his thoughts and never once did he discredit my previous clinic.  I was there for 2 1/2 hours and he covered everything.  Based upon my previous response in IVF, he wanted to check me for PCOS. Even though I don't have any telltale PCOS signs, he wanted to to test me for insulin resistance and PCOS.  He did a ridiculously thorough ultrasound and immediately saw 20 small cysts on my right ovary in the textbook PCOS pattern.  I had 11 on my left and it looked similar.  I had 31 smal cysts on my ovaries...not residual from IVF cysts.....classic, look like a pearl necklace in my ovaries PCOS cysts.  WTF?  HOW WAS THIS NOT SEEN AT MY PREVIOUS CLINIC?  So there it is...I have PCOS. 

I go for my insulin blood test on Monday.  I will get the results back from that next week.  I carry my extra baggage in my middle...a risk factor for type 2 diabetes.  Since type 2 diabetes runs in my family, I am pretty sure I have this as well, as is Dr. Drews.

I have my RX for Metformin and will be on this until I get pregnant or cycle again, whichever comes first. I also have to be on a low-carb, low-sugar diet, most likely forever.  The longer you are on Metaformin, the better quality cycle.

He also discovered the source of my spotting.  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?  My cervix is positioned a bit funny and is damaged from child birth.  We actually saw this on the ultrasound screen. This has no negative impact on me getting pregnant. 

So that is is....I start Metformin next week and will be on it until middle Septmeber/October time frame.  Provided PCOS and insulin resistence are my ONLY egg quality issues, there is a good chance I can get pregnant on my own!!!!!!  YIPPEE!!!!!!

I am beyond happy to have an idea of what is going on and why we are having such a hard time.  On the other hand, I am so angry at my old clinic.  How did they miss this?  How did I miss this?  Whatever....I am focused on the now and now is awesome.  I am still holding my head high and am enjoying my life.  I vow to live this way now until the day I die.  This journey of 2IF may suck, but I am blessed beyond beief in every other area of my life.

Until next time.........xoxoxo
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you had such a positive second opinion appointment and a new RE!!! Good luck with the metformin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Thanks so much lovey!

    ReplyDelete